Seasonal Employee Hourly (Environmental Sciences)
Job no: 495259
Position type: Staff - Temporary
Location: Main Campus - Academic
Division/Equivalent: Natural Sci & Math College
School/Unit: Environmental Sciences - 101250
Categories: Full-Time, None, Seasonal
Title: Seasonal Employee Hourly (Environmental Sciences)
Department Org: Environmental Sciences - 101250
Employee Classification: H6 - Intermittent - Seasonal Hourly
Bargaining Unit: Bargaining Unit Exempt
Primary Location: Main Campus - Academic
Posted Salary: Starting at $20.00 per hour
The Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Toledo, OH seeks a Geophysics Research Assistant who will be involved in geophysical, hydrological and wetland sampling campaigns as part of its wetland monitoring project within Northwest Ohio. The position is part of an ODNR funded project on monitoring wetlands restored within the H2Ohio Initiative to understand their effectiveness in retaining nutrients. The project involves collaboration between scientists from over 8 institutions and agencies through the Lake Erie and Aquatic Research Network (LEARN). Close collaboration with LEARN project partners and scientists is expected. The position is available on an hourly basis from April 1, 2023 to December 31, 2023.
• A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in geophysics, geology, environmental sciences, civil/environmental engineering or other related discipline. Individuals with Bachelor’s degree with significant relevant field experience will be considered
• Willingness and ability to engage in intensive field research activities including spending significant time outdoors, operating and maintaining equipment, etc. Must be able to lift, carry field equipment, and launch a small vessel (canoe or kayak 50-70 lbs) for short distances over uneven terrain.
• Experience with field geophysical and hydrogeological methods
• Ability to navigate and operate in wet and dry field sites including wetlands by wading and in floating craft such as canoes, kayaks, and boats.
• Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
• A good quantitative and analytical ability
• Experience with Python, Matlab or R, and QGIS or ArcGIS
Communication and other skills:
• Effective communication skills (oral and written)
• Ability to work without close supervision and to make decisions concerning weather conditions and other logistical factors
• Ability to work closely with students, faculty and other staff to maintain research efficiency of the project.
Conditions of Employment:
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
The University of Toledo is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. The University of Toledo does not discriminate in employment, educational programs, or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, disability, familial status, or political affiliation.
The University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, dual-career professionals and covered veterans.
The University of Toledo provides reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you require accommodation to complete this application, or for testing or interviewing, please contact the Human Resources Department at 419-530-4747 between the hours of 8:30AM and 5:00PM or apply online for an accommodation request.
Computer access is available at most public libraries and at the Office of Human Resources located in the Center for Administrative Support on the Main Campus of the University of Toledo.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time